Wednesday, April 03, 2024

Building a new health habit

 


 I loved sport at school. Life as an adult had sport low down on the value scale. When there was time to walk, or exercise, it felt like a steep uphill battle, mentally for me and nine out of ten times, I would find an excuse.

In my early sixty’s, I attempted joining a Pilates class with our resident Physio at The Coves. Watching the young, fit women enjoying the movements, I felt embarrassed and lacked confidence. One discovers that getting up and down is not that easy anymore. I eventually approached another physio and asked if we could start a Pilates class for the older generation. This turned out to be a win. We met twice a week and enjoyed the classes. It was manageable and beneficial. The social engagement was also a key win. Sadly, when I moved to the Cape, my classes ended, and I fell back into my previous rut.

Last year I was struggling with shoulder pain and reduced movement in my right arm. The day-to-day challenges made me realize that if I did not do something about it, I would be in constant pain and spending thousands of rands on physiotherapy. My sister-in-law, who had a shoulder op, was doing daily water therapy at the local Virgin Active. She invited me to join her. I was reluctant to go as I felt self-conscious in my costume. With encouragement, I eventually went.

After about a month, I joined one of the aqua aerobics classes and loved it. It felt like I had found an exercise class that could work for me. I have built a consistent habit over the last six months of going at least twice a week. I have been amazed at the age range in the pool. Some of the people seem to have had a mild stroke, walk with a stick and others in all shapes and sizes in  their fifties to eighties happily enjoying the class together. The self-consciousness has gone, and my body is so much stronger. I have no more shoulder or arm pain and my flexibility has improved. I have met people through the sessions as well.



Late last year, I interviewed Dr Melodie de Jager, for our podcast called Red Wine and Blue Jeans. Melodie shared as we chatted about her research on the mature brain. She shared that for the brain to remain active we need the input of our senses and the output of movement. You can listen to the conversation here: https://www.buzzsprout.com/1702777/14023723-in-conversation-with-dr-melodie-de-jager


As I did the class, after this interview, I realized that aqua aerobics is a wonderful opportunity to keep the brain active. We are using our senses of hearing and touch and the output of movement of all parts of our body. The music also creates “happiness” for me. The instructors are amazing and making such a difference for each of us in the water. I look forward to these sessions and have at last found something that I love

The gym can be a scary place for a person like me. It is easier to go with a friend and I am grateful for the encouragement. There is so much opportunity for any gym to create these special spaces for those of us who need to improve our health and engage with others in a social environment. It is never too late to improve our health.

I want to live, healthier for longer and grateful that I am now on that path. We need to find ways to duplicate this for others. Invite a friend. Be courageous. Just do it.

 



1 Comments:

At 9:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post Lynda
I can totally relate to much of what you say
After my mugging I hit a very low in my life and had never been so unfit but I started a gym program and have totally rejuvenated myself
I have got my mojo back
I still do not have full movement in my right shoulder but try to swim 5 times per week
I aim to do a triathlon where I am on the treadmill then cycle and swim
All very short trips
I feel like an absolute beginner in the gym but I am getting younger everyday

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Bookmark and Share Follow Me on Pinterest