Friday, January 29, 2010

Walking through history and enabling the future




Yesterday I had a walk back into part of my own history and met someone who was on my list of people I would love to chat to.
I had the privilege to meet the Queen mother of the Bafokeng Tribe. Memogolo (our affectionate and respectful name for the Queen Mother) Semane Molotlegi is an active member of the Bafokeng Women's Society, and has played a major role in the Nation's health and social development.


I have more than 100 years of history in Rustenburg and my Dad had patented a pulley used in the platinum mines. He died when I was young but my roots and history belong there.

I spent some time at the new hotel ( where the English team will stay during the World Cup) with Semane and a few entrepeneurs discussing how we can accelrate skills development in the arts and crafts industry.

She is gentle, humble and cares about her people. Thee is a spirit of excellence in all that is being done in this area. A real signpost of hope for this nation.

1 Comments:

At 2:18 PM , Blogger Maree Clarkson said...

Thank you for a lovely post and information Lynda - very little or almost nothing of this type of news ever hits the papers or the TV - it's nice being informed.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Bookmark and Share Follow Me on Pinterest