Saturday, March 18, 2017

Shelly Beach - a place of happy memories





Yesterday we heard that our family holiday home is sold. This is a relief as we have had it on the market for three years. It also brought back so many memories of my life and my family that will be inter-twined with this place forever.

My mom bought this holiday home in 1974 when I was in my matric year. That December we spent our first ever holiday there. She paid R 17 000 fully furnished for this newly built unit on the beachfront close to Shelly Beach. My memories from that year are of us four children and my mom learning to have a holiday in a flat rather than a hotel. We had spent most of our family holidays before that at the Cutty Sark hotel in Scottburgh. I have a vivid memory of me standing in the "tickie box" getting my matric results. My youngest brother (10), packing his bags and letting us know that he was leaving as he was fed-up with us all. Saying good-bye one morning to John and Deon as they were going to the Transkei and then seeing their very dirty dusty faces later in the day as they had rolled the car and lost the windscreen. They had driven back to re-group and lick their wounds.

This place became home from home for the past 43 years. My youngest brother was at Varsity in KZN and spent many happy weekends here. Justin and Bronwyn my children know this place as their holiday home where many of their friends joined us over the years and Justin made sure Sarah grew to love it too before they left for the UK. Over the past 24 years, Frank, Marina and the triplets have spent time here most years and I know for them this too is their little place of heaven on earth.


The memories include cricket in the drive-way, Bronwyn cutting her head open on the banister, catching crabs at night on the beach, picnics and long days on the beach, Easter egg hunts and many more. Long lazy days with late breakfasts and nights around the braai. Rest, books and friends.



How does one say goodbye to memories like this? One does not. You understand that with the death of my mom and the children grown and off in different directions that life has changed and that it is time to let go and say good-bye. The memories remain with us always, we just release the building to the next young couple who will make memories of their own.

Thank you Mom for this wonderful gift that kept on giving for 43 years and for the memories that will remain forever.

Image may contain: 5 people, people smiling, people standing, sky, sunglasses, outdoor, close-up and nature



2 Comments:

At 7:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What lovely memories that will replay in your mind forever.

 
At 7:50 AM , Blogger Maree Clarkson said...

Lovely, memories are forever Lynda! Wow, 3 years to sell! It Just goes to show we must just hang in there, everything happens as it's supposed to.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Bookmark and Share Follow Me on Pinterest